St. Mark’s (Gorton) Football Club1884Founded by members of St. Mark's Church, West Gorton, Manchester, the team's first recorded match was on 13th November 1880. Their opponents were a church team from Macclesfield. St. Marks wore black shirts with white shorts.
In 1884, St. Mark's merged with Gorton Athletic, but the union was short lived, the St Mark's representatives renaming themselves Gorton A.F.C. and Gorton Athletic reforming as West Gorton Athletic.
In 1887, Gorton A.F.C. turned professional and moved to a new ground at Hyde Road. They took the name Ardwick A.F.C.
1894 the club underwent another reorganization following a financial crisis and changed their name to Manchester City.