Whereas the 1914-18 war was a time of inactivity for most European clubs, it was also a time that saw the birth of others. Legia Warszawa SA was founded in March 1916 as Drużyna Sportowa Legia. Stanisław Mielech was the main organizer. It was a club for serving members of the Polish army. Initially the team played near Maniewicze (now in Ukraine), against other military units. The move to Warsaw in the summer of 1916 came as the result of a massive Russian offensive. Whilst the war was still in progress Drużyna Sportowa Legia are recorded as having played 9 games in Warsaw in which they were undefeated, including a draw with Polonia (their first match- with Mielech getting a last minute equalizer) and a victory over Cracovia. The win over Cracovia came on August 19th, 1917 and, due to the ongoing conflict in Poland it was Legia's last game until March 14th, 1920.
Players of Legia and Divisional Sanitary Department (plain shirts)- Legia won this match 7-0.