Cathkin Park- Second Hampden
For most of its existence Cathkin Park was the home of Third Lanark FC.
The stadium was initially built as the new home for Queen's Park, who had been forced out of their previous ground by railway development.
Cathkin Park opened in October 1884 with a match between Queen's Park and Dumbarton (0-0). At that time the ground was still called Hampden Park, as was Queen's Park’s previous ground.
It soon became one of Scotland’s major grounds, regularly hosting Scottish Cup finals and internationals, as well as the 1888 “Championship of the World” match between Renton and West Bromwich Albion, won 4-1 by the Scots. Another highlight includes the first ever Celtic-Rangers cup final in 1899 (2-0).
It did not take long for the ground to become too small and Queens Park therefore tried to acquire more land in order to expand. These plans were frustrated and in 1903 the club moved to a new site just south of Cathkin Park, the third and present Hampden Park.
After Queens Park had left the ground, Cathkin Park found a new occupant in Third Lanark FC. As soon as the new club moved in, they renamed it Cathkin Park (more precisely New Cathkin Park as they had previously played at a different ground with the same name).